Facts and Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding has long-been known to provide many benefits to both mother and child. Recently, however, new evidence has emerged that shows the immunological benefits of breastfeeding may be even greater than previously thought. According to a study published in the journal JAMA Pediatrics, not only does breastfeeding provide protection against common childhood infections, but it may also protect children against developing autoimmune diseases such as Type 1 diabetes and Celiac disease.
Here are a few important things to know about Breastfeeding:
- Breastfeeding is natural and not difficult once you get the hang of it.
- Nursing your baby regularly helps to protect against numerous illnesses and infections.
- Breast milk is custom-made for each baby, containing the perfect combination of nutrients to help him or her grow and thrive.
- Breastfeeding can help women lose weight
- Breast milk is the best food for a baby. It’s always at the right temperature, comes in several flavors and can be delivered to your baby with one hand—a great way to keep up with your favorite TV show or take care of housework while feeding.
- Breast milk can protect your baby from many diseases that are common during infancy, including ear infections and diarrhea.
- Breastfeeding may help protect you from ovarian and breast cancers later in life when you’re older than 50 years old.
- Since breastfeeding doesn’t cost anything extra (if you don’t count formula), it’s not only free but also saves a lot of money!
Breast milk is packed with nutrients that help baby grow and develop, including important vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It also contains special ingredients called immunoglobulins that help build a baby’s immune system. Breastfeeding also has health benefits for moms, including a reduced risk of ovarian cancer and breast cancer.
When it comes to breastfeeding, every mom and baby is different. Some babies nurse like pros from the start, while others take a little more practice. I hope these tips help you along your Breastfeeding Journey.
Schedule a Lactation Consultation or Virtual Breastfeeding Class today!
For more Breastfeeding Support and Lactation Tips Sign up for my newsletter! Every month you’ll receive articles, my latest blog posts, special promotions, and more directly in your Inbox. You can also follow Lotus Lactation Services on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.